• The Sussex County Department of Health’s appointment process changed on March 20. You must work, live, or go to school in Sussex County in order to qualify. Visit sussex.nj.us. Click “Get Vaccinated,” and follow the instructions. After confirming you are eligible, you will eventually be directed to a Google form, where you register with your email address. Filling out this form does not guarantee an appointment - it just allows you to be access the scheduling system when appointments become available. The county is sending emails with appointment availability in the order registrations were received to a set number of individuals each week, consistent with the number of vaccines available.
• Passaic County residents can check for openings with the Passaic County Department of Health by visiting: passaiccountynj.org/covidvax
• Sussex County seniors who cannot navigate the internet should call the Sussex County Division of Senior Services to get on its waitlist: 973-579-0555. Residents can call Skylands Ride for transportation to and from appointments: 973-579-0480
• To check for availability at the Meadowlands Mega Site, visit www.hackensackmeridianhealth.org/covid19
• Sussex County seniors who cannot navigate the internet should call the Sussex County Division of Senior Services to get on its waitlist: 973-579-0555.
• Residents in need of transportation services to their vaccination appointments in Sussex County can call Skylands Ride for assistance: 973-579-0480
• A group of volunteers affiliated with nonprofit organization W Girls is helping secure appointments for New Jersey seniors who are struggling with the tech-heavy process. To sign up, visit: www.bit.ly/wgirlshelp
• Check availability at nearby Acmes at: www.bit.ly/acmevax
• Check availability at nearby Weis Markets at: weismarkets.com/pharmacy-services
• Eligible individuals can make an appointment over the phone to be vaccinated at the following Wal-Mart Pharmacies: Franklin, anyone eligible (973-209-4253), Newton, age 55+ (973-300-1859), Rockaway, age 55+ (973-361-6089), Hackettstown, age 55+ starting April 5 (908-979-9342), Riverdale, age 65+ (973-835-5812), Ledgewood, anyone eligible (973-598-4088)
• Check availability at nearby Rite Aids by visiting: www.ritea.id/newjersey
• Check availability at CVS pharmacies by visiting: cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine
• To be alerted when Atlantic Health gets additional doses, sign up at: www.bit.ly/AHvaccine
• To check availability at nearby ShopRite Pharmacies visit shoprite.com/pharmacy and click “Schedule an Immunization Now.”
• Check vaccines.shoprite.com for availability at Wakefern ShopRite locations
• Pre-register with the state at: covidvaccine.nj.gov
• Call the New Jersey Covid Vaccine hotline: 1-855-568-0545 (8 a.m. - 8 p.m.)
Tips for securing an appointment
Download the auto refresh extension for Google Chrome. Since appointments become available at random times, being able to auto refresh the pages you are using to find an available appointment is a huge time saver.
How to do it:
- Open Google Chrome on your computer and search “Chrome Web Store”
- On the top left of the webpage, click “Search the store” and type in “Auto Refresh plus Page Monitor.”
- Click on the ‘Auto Refresh Plus | Page Monitor’ extension (blue icon with a circular arrow inside).
- Select “Add to Chrome” on the upper right side. From here, you can adjust the extension settings. Scroll down to the section titled “Page Monitor” in order to arrange the setting to receive notification when a specific word of your choosing shows up on the webpages where the extension is used. Words like “available,” “appointment,” or “open” may be helpful.
- Go to the page you want to auto refresh and select the puzzle piece from the top right corner of your toolbar. Select the Auto Refresh Page Monitor app from here to start it.
• Download the autofill extension for Google Chrome. When booking available appointments, several forms must be filled out, and if someone else fills it faster than your fingers can type, your appointment could be lost. Using an extension that automatically fills in your information can help avoid that issue.
- On the top left of the webpage, click “Search the store” and type in “Autofill.”
- Click on the extension (green background with a yellow lightning bolt).
- Select “Add to Chrome” on the upper right side.
To use the extension, go to the website where you can book your appointment. Fill out the form and then click on the icon for the extension you have just downloaded by clicking the puzzle icon, which is to the right of the search bar. Select “Generate Autofill Rules.” The information should autofill itself on the page when you next open it.
*Tip: When registering for your vaccine appointment, make sure to fill out only what is necessary. This includes your full name, date of birth, email, phone number and address. Select “no insurance” when prompted which will allow you to submit the application faster; you can provide that information when you get to the vaccine center. As for your social security number, you may enter what-is-called a “dummy number,” like 111111111 or 123456789, which speeds up the process.
• Follow, and set up notifications for Twitter account @C19VaxxUpdates. The account’s admin posts around-the-clock whenever it finds New Jersey appointment openings, or suspects appointments are about to drop. If you’re not on Twitter, download the app on your phone and create an account. Then, search for @C19VaxxUpdates. Click on the account’s page, and then click “Follow.” Then, click the bell icon next to the “Following” button, and select “All Tweets,” to get a notification on your phone whenever this account tweets something new.
• VaxxMax.com is an online tool that searches for and lists availability at RiteAids and Walgreens every five minutes. This is super helpful because when you search on those sites, it doesn’t show which stores actually have open appointments, it just prompts you to put in a zip code and searches within a set radius. VaxxMax shows you which locations, by zip code, have appointments available - so when searching on those pharmacy sites, you can input a zip code that actually has openings to secure an appointment.