Fire Department gives heads up about mixed use of cleaning products

23 Mar 2020 | 01:02

From watery eyes, to headache, to chest pains, mixing use of products even seemingly as harmless as vinegar can cause problems, according to the Sparta Township Fire Department.

The Firefighters advise residents not to mix the following cleaning products:

Bleach and vinegar should not be used together when cleaning as the combination can produce chlorine gas, which can cause coughing, breathing problems, burning and watery eyes.

Do not mix bleach and ammonia, which can produce a toxic gas called chloramine. It causes shortness of breath and chest pains.

Avoid using rubbing alcohol and bleach together, as this can produce chlorform, which is highly toxic. Hydrogen peroxide should not be used in combination with vinegar as it produces the toxin peraceptic/peroxycetic acid.

For more advisories from the Sparta Fire Department, visit https://www.facebook.com/SpartaTownshipFireDepartment/