LAKE HOPATCONGThe Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club had its annual ceremony to open the season and its historic clubhouse on Bertrand Island, in Mt. Arlington, to members and their guests. Only this year, the ceremony marked the 100th anniversary of the Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club. The opening ceremony signified the start of the club's season with a formal flag-raising, a speech by current Commodore John A. Hoff, Jr., recognition of members past and present who have died during the prior year, a prayer, and a Memorial Day tribute to those serving in the armed forces, especially those who have given the ultimate sacrifice in defense of freedom. The ceremony also included the unveiling of a time capsule buried on the club's front lawn on the evening of September 3, 1960, to mark the 50th anniversary of the opening of the club house. It contained "memories of the club", including pictures of the clubhouse and grounds, commodores, racing events, sailing fleets and committees, plus copies of the Lake Hopatcong Breeze. The plans for the capsule were formulated by John Petterson, and Edwin A. Kirch III was the commodore of the club at the time. The opening ceremony ended with a canon salute and the lowering of the flag to half mast as members watched from the porch and lawn. The club's board of directors and commodores attended in uniform. More centennial celebrations are planned throughout the summer: a Great Centennial Regatta, a Centennial Ball, a boat parade, an expanded Centennial Fireworks Display, a reunion weekend, and entertainment events, such as a 40's swing dance with the Glenn Miller Orchestra. A new time capsule will be buried for unveiling in the year 2105. The Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club's history dates back to 1899. The Hopatcong Lake and Field Club was organized as an active boating and social club, operating a clubhouse on Bertrand Island, which has burned down. Also in 1899, the Hopatcong Junior Yacht Club was founded, featuring sailing competitions for teenagers. In August 1904, the two clubs merged and the consolidation became the Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club. R. L. Edwards was the club's first commodore. The club's inaugural season in 1905 featured a carnival and regatta that included competitions in rowing, sailing, swimming, canoeing, and tub racing. The club ended its first season with a costume barn dance with participants dressing in barnyard clothes. In 1907, after several years of planning and fund raising, the club's current location was chosen and in 1910, construction of the Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club's current clubhouse was completed. Built in the Adirondack style, using local logs, the building has changed little throughout the years, which has earned it a place on both the National and New Jersey Registers of Historic Places. To this day, the clubhouse remains one of the lasting connections with Lake Hopatcong's era as a great northeast resort. Today, the Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club is run by members for members and offers an active sailing and social schedule, with an emphasis on activities for the entire family. The club's sailing program includes a junior sailing instructional and racing program, as well as one-design racing in four fleets. It also has an teenage youth program, called "The Juniors", and many social affairs for young and old alike. Friends of members are allowed to participate in the instructional programs and crew for members in fleet racing. The social schedule includes a variety of Saturday night functions throughout the spring and summer. The club also has weekday porch dining for members with waterfront views. The Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club is located on Bertrand Island, Lake Hopatcong, on North Bertrand Road in the Borough of Mt. Arlington, Morris County, New Jersey. Clubhouse phone number is 973-398-4324.