Byram Police

| 28 Sep 2011 | 02:45

    December 17 At 3:11 a.m. a vehicle was observed traveling on Route 206 at a high rate of speed. The vehicle was stopped and further investigation revealed the driver, Peter Wehmeyer, 43, of Byram to be under the influence of alcohol. Wehmeyer was placed under arrest and transported to police headquarters, where he refused to submit to breath tests. He was processed and charged careless driving, unregistered motor vehicle, driving while suspended, DWI, refusal to submit to breath tests, no liability insurance on motor vehicle, and suspended driver's license in possession. Wehmeyer faces a mandatory court appearance in Municipal Court. December 23 At 8:19 p.m., a Byram patrol car driven by police officer Daniel DeWald, 28, was heading south on Route 206 with its overhead lights on responding to back up a Stanhope officer on a motor vehicle stop. As the patrol car approached the Quick-Chek Plaza, a Jeep driven by Justin Walraven, 21, of Mt. Arlington exited the parking lot and was struck by the patrol car. Walraven was taken to St. Clare's/Dover for a neck injury where he was treated and released. December 24 At 12:37 a.m., Byram Police received a report of an erratic driver in a Ford pick-up truck going at a high rate of speed south on Route 206. Stanhope officers observed the vehicle making a U-turn by Dell Road, in their town. The vehicle then proceeded to go north at a high rate of speed. A Byram Police car spotted the vehicle and attempted to catch up to it. As the vehicle attempted to pass another vehicle by Jones Lane, the driver, William Matthews, 36, of Lafayette, lost control, crossed over the roadway, ran off the road and struck several trees. The driver was trapped in the vehicle and extricated by the Lakeland Emergency Squad. he was then flown to Morristown by Northstar. Sgt. Kenneth Burke investigated assisted by the Andover and Stanhope police and the Sussex County Prosecutor. The Byram and Andover Boro fire departments, Medic 57, the N.J. State Police Northstar Helicopter, and the N.J. Department of Transportation also responde