Hamilton Street house "non-livable"

| 15 Feb 2012 | 10:33

NEWTON — Smoke billowed and flames shot out from a Hamilton Street home in Newton during an early morning fire on Thursday, Dec. 1. The blaze sent neighbors scrambling to call authorities at 8:13 a.m. with the Newton Police and Fire Departments responding to the scene along with the Office of Emergency Management and First Aid Squad. Mutual aid responses came from the Andover, Branchville, Byram and Hampton Fire Departments and the Lakeland and Blue Ridge Rescue Squads. The Sussex County Sheriff's Office and Fire Marshall were also on the scene. Kenneth Teets, the Emergency Management Coordinator for Newton's Office of Emergency Management, said the structure was "non-livable." Teets said the Sussex County Chapter of the American Red Cross, which was also on the scene, is assisting the families with new living arrangements. The fire is still under investigation. A portable electric heater is suspected to be the cause.